Monday, June 28, 2010

COCONUT CREAM TART


Coconut cream tart, from a recipe to be found on Martha Stewart.com. OK bloggers, let's go! Grab your ingredients and get in the kitchen. Let's make this tart!!!

Coconut cream tart before the whipped cream goes on top...

I don't often work with coconut, but I do like its flavor. As far as coconut cream pie is concerned, this is my first attempt at making one. Sometimes I've bought single-serve, ready-made ones, available at my local convenience store, and made by "Tastykake." The brand Tastykake is a Philadelphia/Southern New Jersey food tradition. If you're from here, you've had a Tastykake. Go into a Wawa (convenience store), buy a coffee and a Tastykake. You know you're in Philly! Tastykakes come in many varieties, pies and other pastries, and everyone swears their favorite is the best one. In the Tastykake pie department I prefer coconut cream. All was well until one day when I read the back of the pie box and was surprised to discover that the tiny piece of coconut cream dessert I cherished contained 400+ calories. "Tastykake why have you done this to me?" I sobbed, wiping tears from my eyes. It's been a while since I've eaten the crust, and the custard and the coconut. So, even though I'm making this coconut cream tart, I'm only having a very small, tiny slice. I promise.


Ingredients:


FOR THE CRUST
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled 
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt


FOR THE FILLING
1 1/2 cups (4 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
2 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
Pinch of salt
3 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream



Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350° F
Make the crust:

  • In a food processor, pulse flour, butter, sugar, and salt until moist crumbs form.
  • Transfer to a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom.With floured fingers, press evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the tart pan. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
  • Prick crust all over with a fork. Bake, until golden, for 25 minutes, pressing down with a spoon if it puffs up; cool completely.



Sprinkle toasted coconut on the crust...
Make the filling:
  • Spread 3/4 cup coconut on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden, tossing occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes. Set toasted coconut aside.
  • In a medium saucepan, heat 2 cups of the milk and remaining 3/4 cup coconut until milk just begins to simmer. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand 10 minutes. Strain through a sieve, and return the milk to the saucepan. Discard the coconut. *Don't let the coconut sit in the milk for more than ten minutes, because the milk will absorb all the sugar from the coconut and become way too sweet. You just want to give the milk a light coconut flavor.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, egg yolks, and remaining 1/2 cup milk until blended. Gradually pour into the saucepan while whisking.
  • Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until the mixture begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Cook, whisking, 1 minute.
  • Transfer to a bowl and add the vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cool, 45 minutes.
  • In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream on medium until soft peaks form.
Assemble the tart:
  • Sprinkle 1/4 cup of toasted coconut in crust. Spoon on cooled filling, mounding slightly in center.
  • Sprinkle another 1/4 cup of coconut on the filling;

    Sprinkle toasted coconut on the custard filling...

  • Top with the whipped cream, and garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup of coconut.
  • Refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 30 minutes. Remove the sides of the tart pan, and slice.
I loved the filling, but I loved the crust even more.  It was absolutely delicious. My dad loved it too.  He's had a sweet tooth since the day he was born, so I really made this for him.  To cut down on the calories a bit, rather than cover it with whipped cream, I used just a dollop per serving. I added some sliced bananas, too.

3 comments:

  1. Greek Girl from QueensJune 29, 2010 at 8:22 AM

    Oh...my...heavens. I cannot wait to try out this recipe. I love coconut anything, so this is perfect. Ahhh, go on. Have a decent-sized piece. Thanks for posting and sharing this, Ana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm. This seemed to be a success for everyone who made it.. even the girls who don't like coconut. I love the stories you include in your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments ladies. I am not exagerating when I say that I was shocked to find out that my favorite coconut cream pie treat had 400 calories!

    ReplyDelete