Sunday, June 6, 2010

HERBED FLATBREAD


This recipe for flat bread is from the June issue of Martha Stewart Living.  It's a delicious recipe, but like all flat breads, it doesn't keep well, so it must be consumed on the day it's made.  

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for surface and hands
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 large egg, whisked with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
1/4 cup fresh rosemary or thyme leaves, or a combination of both.
Coarse salt or ground Parmesan cheese for sprinkling over the flatbreads.

This batch should have stayed in the oven a bit longer. I took it out too soon partly because I was anxious to see what the recipe tasted like. Two thumbs up!
Directions:
  • Place water in a medium bowl, sprinkle with yeast, let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
  • Stir in flour, oil, salt, and sugar. Stir to form a dough.Turn out to floured surface and knead until smooth.


  • Transfer to greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, for about 1 hour.

Rub some olive oil over the surface of the dough, cover with plastic wrap and then wrap a towel over the bowl so that the dough is kept warm.
I let the dough rise for two hours. It looked pretty good!
  • Preheat oven to 350°F.
  • Divide dough in 16 pieces, cover with plastic wrap.
  • On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll each piece of dough to 4"x10", then transfer to parchment lined baking sheets, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with herbs and coarse salt or ground Parmesan cheese.
  • ***If the dough feels hard and is difficult to roll, let it rest for a little while so that it softens, then roll it again. *I used two sheets of parchment paper and reused it until all the flat bread finished baking. *I omitted sprinkling salt on top. Don't care for it. Instead, I substituted the salt with grated Parmesan cheese. *When a recipe for dough calls for sugar, I like to use a little extra. I think it makes the dough crispier. *Using a fork, I pierced each piece of dough in a few spots, to keep it from forming bubbles while baking.***
  • Bake, rotating sheets half way through, until breads are crisp and golden, about 18-20 minutes. Let them cool slightly before eating. They taste best when they are fresh out of the oven. These flatbreads are delicious!!! Can you tell from this post that I love bread?

3 comments:

  1. I loved these too. A lot. I'll be making these again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look super! Nice photos, your dough looks great! I will make mine today, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked them! Great idea to put parmesan cheese on them. I think some minced garlic would be yummy too.

    ReplyDelete