Monday, July 26, 2010

CHOCOMOLE (Dairy-Free Avocado Chocolate Pudding)


Today is a hot July day with the temperatures hovering in the high 90s F. The humidity is very high also, hovering somewhere at about 80%. We took the dogs for a walk in the woods, but we soon gave up. Both dogs and humans followed the path homeward, where the air conditioning soon had us breathing with relief. Before we left the park we caught a glimpse of a whole host of blue iridescent dragonflies. How beautiful it was to watch them! They zipped up and down the sides of a pond, skimming the surface of the water, hunting for something good to eat, I suppose. There is a legend that dragonflies can saw up a person's lips and ears. We were not afraid because we had our dogs to protect us. At home, I concentrated on making a chocolate pudding for Martha Mondays. It's a no dairy, no sugar, vegan recipe from Whole Living magazine, picked for us to make by Sarah from Mum in Bloom.


Mmm! The article from "Whole Living" magazine was convincing: A rich and creamy bowl of chocolate pudding... an irresistible treat for both kids and adults. A lot of us probably make it with gelatin based pudding mixes, loaded with refined sugars. Here is a homemade pudding recipe that is easy to make, and contains heart healthy fats and vitamin E. It's the "chocomole," a chocolate pudding made with avocados, dates, and cocoa powder. The pudding comes out thick, never letting you guess it has veggie based roots. It's a nutrient rich pudding. Something to try if you are lactose intolerant, or are attempting to cut down on the amount of sugar that you consume. The key ingredient, avocados, contains monounsaturated fats which promote heart health. Avocados (which I love), are also full of potassium, soluble fiber, and lots of vitamin E.  So yes, the article convinced me.  This was going to be a healthy and delicious dessert.


Well, I made it and I tasted it. It needed more sweetener, so I added more dates. It needed something else. Almonds go well with chocolate, so I added some ground up almonds. It needed something else. I topped it with raspberries. It needed something else. In went some honey. With the addition of honey it was no longer a vegan recipe, but at least it was an eatable recipe.  So..., in my opinion:
If you're looking for a healthy treat, try this chocomole!!! If you're looking for something tasty to eat, keep looking. This ain't it!!! 
(Please forgive me if you are vegan and reading this post. I do not wish to offend, and I support the fact that all of us have differing palates and eating philosophies).



Since this pudding contains avocado, I thought serving it with tortilla chips might improve the way it goes down. The chips were good! No need for pudding. However, if you must have the pudding, here is how to make it:


Ingredients:


1 ripe avocado, pitted, outer skin removed
6-10 dates, pitted, soaked if necessary
½ tsp vanilla
1/4 cup whole almonds
4 heaping teaspoons cocoa
½ cup water
Sliced fruit for decoration
Maple syrup or honey for decoration

Directions:
  1. Place the avocado, dates, vanilla, almonds and cocoa in a food processor.
  2. Begin to mix, and while the motor is running drizzle the water in, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl if needed.
  3. Process until the mixture resembles a thick chocolate pudding. Let it continue mixing until smooth and creamy.
  4. Serve topped with fruit, and for an extra treat drizzle some maple syrup or honey on top.
  5. This recipe is a vegan favorite - with a maple syrup topping, that is. Once the honey is added, it's no longer a vegan recipe.

4 comments:

  1. This was so funny to read Ana. I couldn't be bothered trying to figure out what would make it better, but I credit you with giving everything in the pantry a go! It just wasn't meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! I love your adjustments to the recipe and I always enjoy the stories you write on your posts. Very very good job here. I still haven't made mine as my week is bursting with activities & I can barely get up for air. Thank you for trying this recipe and your added sweetness :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your honesty and the humorous way you shared this story! I too have made some magazine recipes and thought UGH! so not worth eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really funny. Kudos to you for grinding almonds for the sake of a not-so-great recipe. I do wonder what they are thinking in test kitchens, sometimes. So smart to try it as a dip! Good thinking.
    Maybe we should both just hold off from Vegan Martha recipes for a while...

    ReplyDelete