Friday, August 20, 2010

CORNISH GAME HENS with APRICOTS and PRUNES


I'm in the kitchen making "chicken with apricots and prunes,"  but I'm using Cornish game hens instead.  I love how nice the little hens taste when coated with a glaze. They brown in the oven and they come out delicious. Here is the recipe, which is based on one found in Martha Stewart's web site:


Ingredients:

2 Cornish game hens, cut in half
3/4 cup apricot preserves
8 dried plums, pitted
2 dried apricots, pitted and cut in quarters
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of half a lemon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
10 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
1 onion sliced
30 fresh sage leaves
3 carrots sliced diagonally
Sesame seeds for garnish


Directions:


Preheat oven to 400° F.


Cook the carrots in boiling salted water until they are almost soft. Wash the game hens and dry them well on paper towels. Place them in a roasting pan and toss all the ingredients together with the game hens, including the carrots. The game hens should be evenly coated. Arrange them skin side up in the pan and roast them uncovered, until they are browned and cooked through, about 40 minutes. Stir the ingredients a few times while they are baking so that the plums and apricots don't burn. Garnish with sesame seeds before serving.


1 comment:

  1. Ana, this looks so good. I have never cooked with Cornish hens but they do like good. Did you enjoy it? I missed this task as I was away, but I think I may have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete