Tuesday, January 25, 2011

TURKEY CHILI WITH BEANS

My goodness, the chili is cooked and waiting in the refrigerator for tomorrow's dinner. I can't wait, I really can't wait! Come on tomorrow, get here quickly. Right before dinner I'll cook some rice and then, while everyone is waiting to eat I will take pictures.  They just love me when I do that!  Of course one cannot hurry art.  Taking the pictures will probably take a while...  Then I'll ladle the chili into bowls and surround it with rice. I'll have a few garnishes handy: Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, just a few thinly sliced green onions, and some chopped parsley. These are garnishes that cool down the palette when one is eating spicy foods.  Not that this chili is really spicy by any means.


We don't like overly spicy foods. While I was sauteing the peppers, my mother (84 years old),  was playing solitaire at the kitchen table. All of a sudden she abandoned her cards and exited the room.  What's wrong mums? I called out. No answer.  Just coughing.  I realized steam from cooking the spicy peppers was bothering her.  What a sensitive mother I have. The peppers loose some of their potency once they cook down, so mums can eat the chili without problems.  For the meat, ground turkey works just fine.  It's healthier and lighter than beef.  

This is the ground turkey I  usually buy.
The recipe is delicious as is, but more "heat" can be added to suit different tastes. Also, it can be made a day ahead and it will taste better the next day. 


Ingredients:

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
  • 5 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 of the long hot peppers shown in the picture below, whatever their name is.  Chopped, seeds discarded.
  • 2 pounds ground turkey
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons oregano
  • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 2 tablespoons parsley
  • chili powder as much or a little as you like
  • 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes in juice
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth


For the garnish:

Greek yogurt
Chopped green onions
Chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

  • Heat the oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
  • Add the onions, garlic and chopped hot peppers. Sauté until the onions begin to soften, about 7 minutes.

  • Add the turkey and sauté until it's brown, breaking it up with the back of a spoon.
  • Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika and oregano.
  • Break up the tomatoes in pieces, then mix them up with the meat.
  • Add the parsley, kidney beans and broth.

  • Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chili thickens and the flavors blend, about 45 minutes.
  • The chili can be made one day ahead, and kept refrigerated for the next day's dinner.

  • Ladle the chili into bowls, surrounded with rice if you like. Garnish and serve.
......It was warming and delicious!

4 comments:

  1. Greek Girl from QueensJanuary 26, 2011 at 6:20 AM

    Hmmm...this sounds like a good idea for my weekend get-together with friends, but wondering if it'd work, combination-wise, with the parmesan crostini that I'm planning for the starter/first course. Or would it be too carb-laden...first the bread and then the rice and beans? Actually, I could easily leave out the rice (when I make chili, I usually put the bean/meat combination on top of a bed of rice).

    Thanks for the idea, Ana. And for dessert? I'm thinking koulourakia, making the evening a truly multi-cultural feast - first Italian, then Mexican/Spanish, and then Greek. Whaddya think? (You're invited, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greek Girl from QueensJanuary 26, 2011 at 2:44 PM

    On second thought, while the starter idea is a good one, I don't know that fish would go too well as an appetiser when turkey is next up on the evening's menu. And while the koulourakia would be lovely, they're more for an impromptu coffee and a chat afternoon than a casual dinner party. I'm now thinking a cake of some sort...preferably with a Greek theme running through it. I'll have a look 'round your archived recipes and see if anything takes my fancy (although I'd really love to do the koulourakia...hmmm...maybe I still can...after the cake or pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have grown to really like turkey mince, and it being so much better than beef really does help. This sounds really good Ana. Does your mum live with you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pru! Yes, my mother lives with me, and so does my father. Both my parents are mostly housebound. My mum is 84 and quite healthy for her age, except that she suffers from asthma, so she is afraid to go out. I have to really push to get her to go shopping, or to visit folks, or to go out to dinner. My dad will be 87 soon, and he suffers from dementia. Some days are good for him, some days are bad.

    ReplyDelete