Monday, February 21, 2011

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE PISTACHIO BISCOTTI


A Martha Mondays in February needs a dose of chocolate. Ana (that would be me), over at "Sweet Almond Tree," chose these double chocolate biscotti from Martha Stewart's web site. So welcome to Sweet Almond Tree blog, and let me tell you: If you are a chocoholic these biscotti were meant for you.

I think the recipe I chose is pretty decadent. Shame on me! These biscotti are made with a double dose of chocolate: a bar of semisweet chocolate, plus 1/2 a cup of cocoa powder. In addition, they have pistachios mixed in them, and how can one not be nuts about those nuts. The biscotti should also contain raisins, but I used dried cranberries instead, because even though I searched I could not find my jar of raisins. I know it's somewhere in my kitchen, but where? While searching for the raisins I found some almonds. Wow, almonds are really good, I thought. So I threw some almonds into the mix, too. One thing about these biscotti: the dough is soft and gooey, so be prepared for it to stick all over your hands. Have a butter knife handy so that you can scrape that stuff off. After the first bake, the cookies could still be a bit soft. Let them cool very well, and then slice them very carefully. A few biscotti are bound to crumble. That's all right. It's the cook's treat, those little crumbles, and you can nibble on them while your chocolaty biscotti are getting ready.

Ingredients:
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup whole shelled pistachios, lightly toasted
  • 3/4 cup blanched almonds, lightly toasted
  • 1 cup golden raisins or dried cranberries

Directions:
  • Soak the raisins or dried cranberries in water until they plump up, about half an hour.
  • Heat the oven to 350 °F.
  • Melt the butter and the chocolate in a double boiler. Stir until smooth.
  • Sift together the cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt.
  • In an electric mixer, beat the sugar and eggs on medium speed until lightened. Add the vanilla.
  • On low speed, add the chocolate mixture
  • Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until incorporated. Stir in the nuts, raisins or dried cranberries.
  • Dough will be soft. Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Form two 9 inch long by 3 inch wide logs and carefully place on a parchment lined baking sheet.

  • Bake until dough sets, about 35 to 40 minutes.
  • Cool for 1 hour and then heat the oven to 275 °F.
  • Cut the dough into 1/2 inch slices.
  • Place cut side down on a baking sheet.
  • Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the cookies over and bake for another 20 minutes, until slightly dry.
  • Let them cool on a wire rack, and store them in an airtight container
***You will have a cookie/biscotti that is crunchy, nutty and very, very chocolaty. If you are a chocoholic you will love it!

5 comments:

  1. I loved these Ana (and so did my family and work colleagues). I enjoyed the crumbs and the biscuits - a great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really yummy. I wanted to make them but was overwhelmed with some baking from my Daring Bakers challenge that I did this week. I do think I'm going to try your mushroom soup recipe though this week. Your food always looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, yummy, can I have some, please! Pistachios, and chocolate with coffee, again yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greek Girl from QueensFebruary 24, 2011 at 3:53 PM

    These look incredibly delicious. Some of my very favourite things are in there: chocolate, coffee, pistachios and cranberries. Thanks for sharing, Ana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a friend of Ana and her family and Linus and Callie, Ana's wonderful pups, I, luckily, was a recipient of some of these delicious biscotti.

    They truly are indeed as delicious as they look fabulous.

    Ana is a great cook as well as a great friend, and so is her mom. Often I am treated to meals with them. Everything and I mean everything is always very very tasty. Perfection plus. From homemade dough for pizza to something as simple as a salad.

    Thank you for sharing, Ana.

    ReplyDelete