Tuesday, March 1, 2011

CRUMB CAKE, NEW YORK STYLE, WITH BLUEBERRIES


Large, crisp, crumbly crumbs in the form of a cake is what we all enjoyed for dessert today.  I found the recipe in the March 2010 issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine, and it's one good recipe.
If you have one pound of butter just hanging around your house, why not put it to use in making this cake. Yes, it requires one pound of butter, more or less. That's why it's so good, I guess. However, because of the amount of butter needed, I had reservations at first about baking this cake.  However, a friend at work made it and raved about it.  So I thought I would give it a try too, and I am so glad I did. It is absolutely wonderful!!! It's very moist, fluffy and delicious. Most of the butter goes on the crumb topping, and there is a lot of crumb topping. I followed the recipe exactly as written (more or less), but I think, just maybe, next time I make the cake I might cut the ingredients of the crumb topping by half. Believe me, this cake is going in my regular cake repertoire.
Ingredients:

For the crust topping
3 & 1/2 cups flour (King Arthur is best)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 & 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
For the cake
1 &1/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pan.
2 & 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
Dash of salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks
1 & 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 pint blueberries
1 cup store-bought blueberry preserves
confectioner's sugar for dusting
Directions:
  • Make the crumb topping: Mix the flour, sugars, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix them well. Then pour warm melted butter over the mixture and mix using your hands until medium to large clumps form.
  • Preheat the oven to 325°F, and make the cake:
  • Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  • Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
  • Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat another 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs and yolks one at a time, then add the vanilla.
  • Beat in the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until combined. Don't over-beat.
  • Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
  • Mix the blueberries with the blueberry jam and spread them over the batter.

  • Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the cake.
  • Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool about 15 minutes and then dust with the confectioner's sugar (which I forgot to do).
  • Serve, and believe me, you will enjoy it!

4 comments:

  1. It was really, really good wasn't it? I love the idea of using whole blueberries. After seeing your photos now I just want to eat more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got a chance to bake this one, It is one delicious cake!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greek Girl from QueensMarch 5, 2011 at 7:46 PM

    It's been a long, long time - too long, in fact - since I've baked or even had a slice of proper honey cake or coffee cake. But this post of yours, Ana, including the gorgeous photos you've included, has inspired and motivated me to want to bake one up right now (even though it's well after midnight, I really do want to get everything out of the cupboards and start mixing and baking).

    Thanks for sharing and posting such a great recipe, Ana - another keeper and one that's up there on my 'must bake very soon' list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love blueberries. Probably my favorite jam, pie, anything blueberry. When I was a youth, we always had to go blueberry picking in the woods in the summertime in Newfoundland, Canada with my grandmother. The more grandchildren, the more hands, the more blueberries, the more homemade jam.

    Even though I do not bake, your cake is beautiful and looks delicious, so one can only dream. And hope.

    ReplyDelete