This is an excellent spring or summer entree, it's delicious yet simple to make, and it's vegan, too! A key addition here is the dill which brings seasonal freshness. Dill has a green, aromatic, citrus-anise taste. Then there's mint to bring a second layer of flavour that's delicate and mellow. If you like peas, give this dish a try. You won't be disappointed!
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil to be used at end of cooking
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bunch of scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 medium tomato peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh dill (don't use dried dill)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds frozen peas
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and stir until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, mint, salt and pepper, scallions, dill and water or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat.
- Add the peas and continue to simmer until the peas are tender, about 15 minutes.
- At the end of cooking drizzle the two remaining tablespoons of olive oil onto the peas.
- Remove from heat and let rest about five minutes. This dish can be served warm or at room temperature.