Monday 19 October 2009

Tomato and Rice Soup: Domatosoupa

Domatosoupa: If you split the word in two you will have domata, or tomato, and soupa, or soup. Hence, tomato soup! It's one of those soups that can be eaten in summer when vine-ripened tomatoes are plentiful. And it's one of those soups that was a favourite of my grandmother's and of a wonderful uncle of mine. 

As for me, I was one of those kids who would think of leaving for parts unknown rather than eat domatosoupa. I liked eating tomatoes in a salad well enough, but there was something about the idea of having to consume liquid tomatoes that made me lose my appetite. No, not for me.   

The worst tasting tomato soup I was forced to eat was the one made by a certain aunt ... I have innumerable blissful memories of spending summers at her home in the country: she'd carefully comb my hair in the mornings, insisting that I stop moving so she could part them down the side in a straight line; I didn't care how my hair was parted if it meant staying indoors one minute longer than I had to. I'd run in the orchards with my cousins, we'd ride horses ... One time we got lost, as clever as we thought we were, we got hopelessly lost, but the horses knew the way back home, thank goodness! I remember feeding chickens, helping to clean the chicken coop, getting chased by the rooster, I remember finding freshly laid eggs and bringing them into the kitchen ... Once there was a huge goose egg mixed in with the chicken ones. Silly goose! 

But I also remember those unfortunate lunches when I had to eat domatosoupa! The problem was that aunt would not peel the tomatoes before throwing them in the pot. During cooking their skins would separate, becoming an extra ingredient. An unnecessary ingredient! I would stare at the pieces of tomato skin floating in my bowl, they would stare back at me ... it was impossible to eat a spoonful without swallowing those evil tomato skins! As they slithered their way towards my pharynx ... Well, I've shared enough personal details. 

Recently, while leafing through the pages of an old Greek cookbook, I came across a recipe for domatosoupa. I wondered if I should make it, just for the memories, just to see if I'll find it appealing as an adult. Guess what? I loved it! However, I cooked it without tomato skins. It's a simple, light soup with a summery taste. I don't know how memories manage to plunge into the recipe, but they do. 

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 bunch of scallions chopped
  • 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 cubanelle pepper, also known as Italian fried pepper, sliced into thin pieces
  • 3 pounds ripe tomatoes, PEELED!!! seeded, chopped
  • 6 cups vegetable broth
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup rice
  • 1/4 cup orzo or other small pasta, but orzo is traditional
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • some basil
  • a sprig of rosemary
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
Directions
  1. Cook the orzo according to package directions until done "al dente," and reserve.
  2. In a large pot, heat the olive oil and saute the scallions, celery, and onion, until the onion is translucent. Add the tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for two minutes, stirring.
  3. Add all the broth, the sliced pepper, the rosemary and the basil. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
  4. Add the rice and continue simmering for another 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender. 
  5. Once the rice is tender, add the cooked pasta and parsley and ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese and serve.