PLAY FREE RICE
Let's think about how prevalent poverty and hunger are in all the corners of the world and also in the US, our land of plenty. We can help make things better by getting involved. Bellow I've listed three organizations that have made significant and positive changes for those in need.
- As the United Nations front line agency in the fight against hunger, WFP is continually responding to emergencies. Lives are saved by by getting food to the hungry fast.
- WFP also works to help prevent hunger in the future. It does this through programmes that use food as a means to build assets, spread knowledge and nurture stronger, more dynamic communities. This helps communities become more food secure.
- WFP has developed expertise in a range of areas including Food Security Analysis, Nutrition, Food Procurement and Logistics to ensure the best solutions for the world's hungry.
- WFP operations reached just over 102 million people with food assistance in 2008. The beneficiaries were in 78 countries."
Facts from the USAID website:
- USAID's history goes back to the Marshall Plan reconstruction of Europe after World War Two and the Truman Administration's Point Four Program (which tremendously benefited my country of birth, Greece). In 1961, the Foreign Assistance Act was signed into law and USAID was created by executive order. Since that time, USAID has been the principal U.S. agency to extend assistance to countries recovering from disaster, trying to escape poverty, and engaging in democratic reforms. USAID is an independent federal government agency that receives overall foreign policy guidance from the Secretary of State. USAID work supports long-term and equitable economic growth and advances U.S. foreign policy objectives by supporting:
global health; and,
democracy, conflict prevention and humanitarian assistance.
Sub-Saharan Africa;Asia;Latin America and the Caribbean,Europe and Eurasia; and
The Middle East.