Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pork Chops With Cumin


This way of making pork chops is a tradition in my family. It's a simple recipe that my grandmother taught her two daughters (Christine, my mother, and Sofia, my aunt and godmother), how to make. I too make it, especially in winter. I learned how just by watching.



The dominant seasoning in this recipe is cumin. When I think of cumin I think of pork chops, and vise versa. Cumin has a smoky flavor and is a favorite spice in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine. Here it's combined with Greek oregano, garlic and onions, and the results are fragrant and delicious. These pork chops were made on a blisteringly cold January day. I broiled them indoors, in my warm kitchen. If you can brave the winter cold, fire up the grill and cook them outdoors. You will deserve an extra pork chop for your efforts.



I don't have specific measurements for the ingredients in this recipe. I just "eye" everything. Make sure that you use a little extra cumin, but remember that cumin has a strong flavor so don't use so much that it overpowers the dish.
Here's what to do:
Wash and dry the pork chops. Sprinkle some balsamic vinegar and vegetable oil on both sides. Combine ground cumin, dried Greek oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle it on both sides of the pork chops. Slice an onion into rings. Place half of the rings on the bottom of a flat food storage container. Place the pork chops on top of the onions and cover them with the rest of the onion rings. Cover the container and let rest in the refrigerator for about four hours. Place on a pan, onions included, and broil on both sides. As I said before, summer or winter, these can also be cooked on the grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment