These crunchy biscotti, flavored with orange peel, are great to have with a cup of coffee or tea. What makes these different is their size. They are smaller in size than the average biscotti, which makes them a better choice if you are counting calories.
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
rind of one large orange
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 & 1/2 cups flour
- Beat the oil and the sugar about 10 minutes, until they are very well mixed.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and orange rind and mix.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture gradually, mixing well.
- Add the pecans and icorporate into the mix.
- Place the dough in a storage bowl and keep in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove fom the refrigerator and shape into three or four small logs similar in size.
- Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated 300° F oven for about 25-30 minutes. The biscotti should come out soft and light in color.
- Allow to cool for about one hour
- Transfer each log onto a cutting board and cut with a sharp knife into 1/2 inch diagonal slices.
- Carefully arange the sliced biscotti on baking sheets.
- Bake at 300° F for another 20 minutes or until the biscotti are golden in color.
- Allow to cool and store in cookie tins.