I love rice! I love shrimp! Put the two together and that's my version of comfort food! Here is one of my favorite recipes for shrimp and rice, easy to make any time. Try it, it makes a great dinner. It has a nice mixture of vegetables, and the tomatoes and broth make the rice taste wonderful. Peas are a nice addition here, and I usually include them, but this time we did without because I forgot to buy them. I think the best part about making this dish are the leftovers. They make an excellent non-liquid nightcap!
1/2 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 green pepper (or red if you like), finely chopped
1 cup of sliced mushrooms
1 cup frozen peas
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup white wine
3 cups hot vegetable broth
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 small bay leaf
1 small can tomato sauce
1 tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped.
2 pounds shrimp, peeled, deveined.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil and add the onions, celery, and green pepper. Cook until the onions are soft, about ten minutes.
- Add the rice and cook while stirring, until the rice turns golden in color.
- Add the garlic and stir for about a minute
- Add the wine and the mushrooms, stir, and then simmer five minutes.
- Add the broth, tomato sauce, tomato, parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook about twenty minutes or until the rice is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shrimp and also the peas if you will use them. Simmer about 7 to 8 more minutes, until the shrimp are done.