I love rice! I love shrimp! Put the two together and that's my version of comfort food! Here is one of my favorite recipes for shrimp and rice, easy to make any time. Try it, it makes a great dinner. It has a nice mixture of vegetables, and the tomatoes and broth make the rice taste wonderful. Peas are a nice addition here, and I usually include them, but this time we did without them because I forgot to buy them. I think the best part about making this dish for dinner are the leftovers. They make an excellent non-liquid nightcap!
1/2 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 generous cup of sliced mushrooms
1 large green pepper (or red if you like), finely chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1&1/2 cups long grain rice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup white wine (or replace with chicken broth)
3 cups hot chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 small bay leaf
1 small can tomato sauce
1 tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped.
2 pounds shrimp, peeled, deveined.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil and add the onions, garlic and green pepper. Cook until the onions are soft, about ten minutes.
- Add the rice and cook while stirring, until the rice turns golden in color.
- Add the wine and the mushrooms, stir, and then simmer five minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, tomato, parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook about twenty minutes or until the rice is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shrimp and also the peas if you will use them. Simmer about 7 to 8 more minutes, until the shrimp are done.