Wednesday, August 11, 2010

RACK of LAMB with PARSLEY-ROSEMARY PESTO


This recipe is a no mess, quick, easy and very delicious way to prepare rack of lamb. I found the recipe on the Epicurious web site, changed a few things around, and now I have a new and tasty way to serve lamb. To make the pesto I used parsley and rosemary from my garden. The ingredients were fresh and bright green and smelled and tasted wonderful. I coated the lamb with the pesto, and then I baked it for about 25 minutes. The meat came out of the oven moist, tender and juicy. So... I really recommend this dish!


Ingredients:

3/4 cup parsley leaves. Pack the parsley in the measuring cup so that you get a generous amount.
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, plus some rosemary sprigs for decoration
2 & 1/2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1 1/2-pound rack of lamb
Marinade for the lamb: Season the lamb with salt, pepper, oregano and a little garlic powder. Sprinkle some olive oil and the juice of half a lemon over the lamb

Directions:

French the rack of lamb. I've embedded a video from YouTube which shows how.



(If the video doesn't play, click on it a few times and you'll be taken to YouTube, where you'll be able to view it without trouble).
As you can see from the picture below, I've removed a lot more fat than Alton Brown does in the video. My bone cleaning technique could have been better. Sometimes, as when company is coming, I use string to pull the excess debris off the bones. Today was not one of those days.



  1. Marinate the lamb in the refrigerator for about an hour. Take it out and let the meat come to room temperature.
  2. Position the cooking rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 450°F.
  3. Place parsley, chopped rosemary, grated Parmesan cheese and garlic in the food processor. Process to coarse paste. With the machine running, gradually add the olive oil. Season the pesto to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Place the lamb on a small rimmed baking pan.
  5. To make clean up easier, I like to line my pan with aluminum foil. After cooking, I remove it and throw it out. The foil holds the cooking grease, and the pan remains virtually spotless.
  6. Spread all of the pesto over the rounded side of the lamb.


Roast for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 400°F and roast to desired doneness, about 15 minutes longer for medium-rare.
Remove to a plate and slice. After slicing, arrange the chops on a serving platter, surround with rosemary and pour the juices from the plate over the lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment