Monday, September 20, 2010

ROASTED FALL VEGETABLE SOUP


Today I am making roasted vegetable soup from a recipe that can be found in Martha Stewart's web site. With fall just around the corner, and with the weather getting a just a bit chilly, making soup is the right thing to do.  Plus, this soup is a total winner!


I chopped the vegetables, seasoned them and roasted them. That was the best part. The kitchen smelled great as the vegetables were roasting and when they came out of the oven they looked wonderful and tasted wonderful. I pureed them in the food processor, added some broth and had a delicious chunky-creamy fall soup. Pru made and posted her recipe before I did, and I saw that she had added apples to the vegetable mix. What a great idea Pru! I hope you don't mind, but I followed suit. I peeled and chopped two juicy honey-crisp apples (my favorite), and mixed them in with the squash and the carrots and potatoes. Results? A very nice soup that I will make again and again. 

Delicious roasted vegetables with the honeycrisp apples right on top!

Ingredients:
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into  inch pieces
3 or 4 medium sized red potatoes, scrubbed well and quartered (leave skin on)
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
2 leeks, cut lengthwise, washed well, chopped into  inch pieces, white and light green parts only
5 carrots halved lengthwise if thick, and cut into  inch pieces
2 apples, peeled, cored and quartered. Use a sweet tasting variety of apple. (That does it! Too much talk about apples. I'm going to have to stop right here and go get a honey-crisp apple from the kitchen to snack on as I write this)......
one head of garlic left unpeeled, cut in half crosswise
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
6 sprigs of fresh marjoram 
optional : a bit of cream or milk to add to the soup at the end of cooking



Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 450° F.
  • Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil (makes for easy clean up) and grease the surface of the foil with olive oil. Place the vegetables on the baking sheet - don't add the apples yet - and toss the vegetables with some olive oil, salt and pepper and the leaves from four of the sprigs of marjoram.
  • Roast until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, about 50 minutes.
  • Half way through roasting take the vegetables out of the oven, turn them over so they roast evenly, and mix in the apples.  Place them back in the oven and continue cooking until done.




  • In a large sauce pan warm three cups of the chicken broth along with the remaining marjoram.


  • Divide the roasted vegetables in two batches. Place each batch along with one cup of chicken broth in the food processor and puree well.


  • Add the vegetables to the saucepan with the warmed broth and stir to mix well.


  • Heat up the soup and taste it for seasoning. If you like, you can mix in a bit of cream or milk. The soup is great without any additions, but you can always spruce it up according to your individual taste.



  • 2 comments:

    1. The soup is divine! I have all the ingredients and I must try to make it. I usually skip the roasted vegetable recipes because roasting takes time, but your presentation of the recipe convinced me that it is wort while. We love thick soups like that.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'm so pleased you enjoyed it Ana. I think it is very versatile so I will be making it again with some other vegetables - Brette suggested parsnips and I think swede would work well too.

      ReplyDelete