Quick, easy and tasty. That's a perfect way to describe this meal. I was very hungry when I came into the house after having spent most of the day pruning, and weeding, and cleaning the garden. There was plenty of zucchini to be found in the refrigerator, and I also had on hand some fennel, scallions and pasta which were begging to be used. So I threw this pasta and zucchini dish together, and it only took twenty minutes. I had dinner and then I headed back outside to finish clearing a spot for planting mums. Satisfaction.
3 small zucchini
4 scallions, chopped
3/4 cup acini di pepe pasta
1/2 fennel bulb, finely chopped
3 tablespoons slivered almonds
juice of half a lemon
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- Wash the zucchini and peel some of their skin off with a vegetable peeler. You should wind up with zucchini that appears striped: white flesh and green skin. Doing this eliminates most of the bitterness that is sometimes given off by the zucchini skin.
- Slice the zucchini thinly lengthwise, and then chop it crosswise.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the scallions. Cook them for about a minute and then add the zucchini, fennel, herbs de Provence and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and saute until the zucchini is soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions, and then drain it.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and and dry-toast the almonds.
- Toss the pasta with the zucchini and the toasted almonds.
- Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.