Saturday, September 18, 2010

ZUCCHINI WITH ACINI DI PEPE PASTA



Quick, easy and tasty. That's a perfect way to describe this meal. I was very hungry when I came into the house after having spent most of the day pruning, and weeding, and cleaning the garden. There was plenty of zucchini to be found in the refrigerator, and I also had on hand some fennel, scallions and pasta which were begging to be used. So I threw this pasta and zucchini dish together, and it only took twenty minutes. I had dinner and then I headed back outside to finish clearing a spot for planting mums. Satisfaction.

Ingredients:

3 small zucchini
4 scallions, chopped
3/4 cup acini di pepe pasta
1/2 fennel bulb, finely chopped
3 tablespoons slivered almonds
juice of half a lemon
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 tablespoon herbes de Provence


Directions:
  1. Wash the zucchini and peel some of their skin off with a vegetable peeler. You should wind up with zucchini that appears striped: white flesh and green skin. Doing this eliminates most of the bitterness that is sometimes given off by the zucchini skin.
  2. Slice the zucchini thinly lengthwise, and then chop it crosswise.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the scallions. Cook them for about a minute and then add the zucchini, fennel, herbs de Provence and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and saute until the zucchini is soft.
  4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions, and then drain it.
  5. Heat a small skillet over medium heat and and dry-toast the almonds.
  6. Toss the pasta with the zucchini and the toasted almonds.
  7. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.

3 comments:

  1. Greek Girl from QueensSeptember 19, 2010 at 4:32 AM

    Mmmm....I love zucchini, and I love pasta, so this recipe is one I'm definitely going to make at some point this week. The added almonds is something I'm looking forward to trying, too. I love almonds (slivvered or otherwise), but have never put it into anything other than sweet treats or baked goods/pastries. Thanks for sharing this, Ana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks so fresh and delicious! I've never heard of that pasta or herbs de Provance but will certainly look them up as I'd like to try this recipe.

    My garden is overwhelming me. I'm new to vegetable gardening and it's taking over :( I pulled out a bunch of Yellow Squash (I think?) yesterday and you can't even cut the bumpy suckers :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the looks of this pasta dish. Yes it is different from mine. I like the fennel in it too. I haven't heard of acini di pepe pasta it looks like Israeli couscous. I love using zucchini, love the flavor and how quikly it cooks.

    ReplyDelete