Monday, January 24, 2011

ARTICHOKE - PARMESAN CROSTINI (with some crab meat in it too)


These crostini would make nice appetizers or even a delicious first course. The recipe is based on one from Martha Stewart.com.  I made some changes to the original recipe. First, I added some paprika and some extra parsley just to give added color to the topping, because let's face it, cooked artichoke looks rather drab. Then I mixed in a little crab meat because I had some left over and I thought it would make a nice addition. It did!!!  Last, I did not use a baguette as was called for. I had on hand a nice loaf of garlic and rosemary bread, really flavorful, and perfect for crostini. The results were excellent.  We enjoyed these crostini and I will be making them again! 

Ingredients:

8 slices (1/4 inch thick) of nice, flavorful bread
olive oil
ground pepper
paprika
6 oz marinated artichoke hearts, drained, and patted dry
2 tablespoons crab meat
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (save a little to use as a garnish)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions :

  • Preheat oven to 350°F.
  • Brush the bread slices on both sides with olive oil and season them with black pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. You'll need to turn them over once during baking. Once they are done, set them aside to cool.
  • Meanwhile, make the topping. Chop the artichokes finely, and place them in a bowl. Add the Parmesan cheese, the parsley, the paprika, the crab meat, and enough olive oil to make the mixture delicious (but don't use too much olive oil).
  • Dividing evenly, spoon the topping onto the crostini, and garnish with additional Parmesan, if desired. Put the assembled crostini back in the oven for about 2 minutes, just to warm the topping and to give the cheese a chance to melt slightly.
That's it! These little guys were easy to make and very easy to eat!

5 comments:

  1. Greek Girl from QueensJanuary 25, 2011 at 8:04 AM

    Perfect timing! I've got a couple of friends coming 'round this weekend, and was thinking about what I could cook/bake for the occasion. This is definitely the answer to at least the 'before' part of the evening meal. Thanks for the great idea Ana (and Meagan and Martha too), and as always, for the great words and dee-lish photos to inspire and motivate me along the way to my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pleased that you are back doing Martha Mondays - and adding your own twists to the projects. Crab sounds like a good addition. I enjoyed this project very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mercy, I'm on a very strict diet and this is soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Artichoke and crab? Does sound delicious. But I bet the the Rosemary and garlic bread really brought the combination of crab and artichoke together very well. Good thinking. And then parmesean cheese, okay. Kudos to you. Good work. Love following your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! I like the way you dressed these up! I was worried they would look rather drab especially on my yellow plates!! Ha ha! You always have such great recipes on your site. Thanks for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete