On the menu at a favourite restaurant is an item I usually can't resist: a frozen lemon filled with lemon sorbet. Delicious! A refreshing dessert for sharing! I think it's also a nice idea to fill oranges with sorbet.
- 4 navel oranges
- 2 pints softened mango or strawberry sorbet (or use another flavour you like)
- some mint leaves
- Slice off the top quarter of each orange and reserve to use as a lid. Using a spoon or small knife, carefully scoop out the interior of the oranges. Reserve the flesh for another purpose.
- If you will serve the oranges for Halloween, draw a jack-o'-lantern face on each orange. Cut out the features with a small, sharp knife.
- Pack each orange with sorbet, and top it with its "lid."
- Transfer the oranges to a parchment-lined baking sheet, and place them in the freezer until they are firm. This should take at least 30 minutes.
- Before serving, top each orange with some mint leaves. These can be secured with toothpicks.