On either side of the squid, attached to the bottom of the mantle, are small fins. Those are easy to remove with a knife, and they can be chopped up to be included in the stuffing. Whatever you do, my advice is to make sure that you buy cleaned calamari. Cleaning them at home is a tedious and messy job. I've watched people do it, and I've realized that it's not for me.
Salt and pepper
- Place the squid in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour 1/2 cup of the wine over them, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and marinate in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- In a medium skillet heat 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the onions until they are soft. Add the chopped up squid and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and the rice and stir to coat with the olive oil. Cook for about a minute, stirring.
- Add the scallions and 2 of the diced tomatoes.
- Add the chicken broth, the rest of the wine and the marinade from the squid.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low until all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Let the rice cool slightly, then add the herbs and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Prepare the baking pan: Pour the tomato sauce and add the remaining diced tomato on the bottom of the pan. Season with a little thyme.
- Stuff the squid with the rice mixture. This is a job best done by using your hands. Make sure the rice gets to the bottom of the squid cavity, and keep pressing the rice with your fingers so that the cavity is nicely filled You may want to secure the top of each squid with a toothpick so that the rice does not spill during baking.
- Place the squid in the baking pan and roll it around in the tomato sauce. Add the tentacles if you have any. Drizzle some wine and olive oil over the squid and bake it uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove the squid from the oven. Have a serving platter ready. Spread some of the sauce from the squid on the platter. Place the squid on top and spoon a little more sauce over them. Sprinkle with the pine nuts if using, and serve.