Monday, January 9, 2012

CREAMY CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH KALE AND DILL


My kitchen smelled oh soo good when I was cooking this!  From the aroma, I knew the soup was going to taste great.  It was quick and easy to make, a healthy and flavorful dish!  This is a recipe from vegetarian chef Amy Chaplin, and it appeared on the January issue of Martha Stewart's "Living" magazine.  Cauliflower, sauteed onions, leeks, garlic, kale and dill are simmered in broth, then are blended until smooth.  It's ready in less than half an hour. Both cauliflower and kale belong to the cabbage family, and as such they are super-foods, containing potent anti-cancer properties.  They are also high in fiber, vitamin C, iron, calcium and potassium.  Super-foods indeed.  Don't cook them for a longer time than recommended, because their nutritional value decreases with overcooking. This was originally a vegetarian recipe, but I chose to add chicken broth to it, thus taking it out of the vegetarian category.  Due to dietary reasons I have to learn to increase my protein intake, and the chicken broth added that extra protein.  I may as well announce something here: on January 17, I will be having gastric bypass surgery, something I will be blogging about.  Once I start eating solid food again, I will be having tiny portions, and one of the most important rules will be to have protein first.  I know one thing: this soup recipe and I will become very good friends! 


Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 leek, cleaned well and chopped (white and light green parts only)
4 or 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
1 medium head cauliflower, cut into small florets
about 4 cups of low fat, low sodium chicken broth
5 large kale or collard leaves, stems removed and sliced (or you can use spinach)

juice of half of a lemon
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill 

some basil leaves to taste

Directions:

  • Warm the oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add onions and leek and saute for 4 or 5 minutes. Add the garlic and a bit of salt and continue cooking for a few more minutes.  
I used all these onions and leeks... it was time they made it out of the fridge and into a pot!

  • Add the cauliflower.  
  • Add the chicken broth.  Use as much as needed to reach just below the surface of the cauliflower. Don’t add too much, you can always add more later when blending the soup. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Cover pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. 
The dill smelled oh so good!  It gave an extra depth of flavor to the soup.
After the veggies cook, they are pureed to make a smooth, creamy soup.
  • Add the greens, lemon juice and dill, then stir and simmer a few minutes longer. Remove from the heat, add the basil and maybe a little more dill and let the soup sit about 5 minutes, so that it can cool slightly. 
  • Using an upright blender, blend the soup in batches until smooth, adding more broth (or you can use some water this time), if  it’s too thick. 
  • Season with salt and pepper, reheat if needed, and serve.


7 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased you liked it. I think the addition of broth probably helped, and all those vegetables too. I personally didn't like the idea of it and ended up changing the recipe (drastically)!

    You and I have already spoken about your surgery, but I am thinking of you and you will be especially in my thoughts on the 17th.


    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to find a cauliflower soup without cream. Sounds healthy. The 17th is geting closer and closer Ana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really sounds quite lovely. I am new to your blog, soI took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ana,

    Soup, soup, soup, my favorite comfort food. Any time, any kind. This sounds delicious and look scrumptious.

    I will make this. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ana! I hope your surgery went well. I'm praying for you. P.S. We liked the soup with just a few changes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had just been to the farmer's market and had everything I needed to make it. It was very tasty, though my older food processor didn't quite make it creamy. I think next time I'll add a little cayenne pepper to spice it up. Thank you for the recipe, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comment. This is a really healthy soup, low in calories and tastes good too. I tend to eat more and more soup these days. This one is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete