Monday, February 13, 2012

HAM AND BRIE SANDWICH


Say hello to my little friend!  I'm talking about this ham and brie sandwich. It is my favorite!  Simple and delectable! Ham and brie in a baguette!  I have loved it from the first time I tried it, probably some ten or more years ago.  This time around I decided to add arugula to it, for an extra zing.  I present you with a fresh, crispy baguette, stuffed with peppery arugula, soft creamy brie, and country ham.  Go all out and get the best ingredients, then share this sandwich with your valentine.  Accompany it with some nice fruit, and have a quiet, cozy lunch, just the two of you.




You can certainly use a whole baguette and make a large sandwich which will feed about 4 people.  I chose to cut the baguette in half, and make sandwiches enough for two people.  Having had gastric bypass surgery recently, I was able to eat only about 1/4 of my share.  Also, I discovered that even though my taste buds love a crunchy baguette, at this stage of the game my stomach prefers something softer.  




So most of my sandwich is still waiting for me in the refrigerator.  I guess I'll have some of it for tomorrow's lunch.  One thing:  I loved the small fruit salad on the side.  It was a perfect side, to a perfect lunch, shared with perfect company!  
Wishing you a Happy Valentine's Day!!!
  
Before I write down ingredients and directions, I have to tell you what I went through to buy the strawberries and blackberries you see pictured above: February 11, was mighty cold here in the Philadelphia suburbs, with a light snow falling on and off all day.  I went to Whole Foods to pick up a few things. In anticipation of Valentine's Day, the supermarket had all the "berry type" fruits displayed in large bins outside their front entrance.  No way you could miss them, and no way you could resist them.  How is that for merchandising?  I went inside, picked up some produce, and decided to go  back outside to get berries. By then it had gotten dark and the wind had started to pick up.  The snow was falling heavier now, and the wind was spinning it and tossing it around, so much so that it seemed as though the area was in the middle of a blizzard.  "What a time and what a place to be buying strawberries," I thought. One of the produce employees came outside to make sure the fruit bins were secure. As he opened the doors to exit the market, he inadvertently provided a way for the wind to tunnel inside and lay havoc.  A beautiful display of orchid plants collapsed on the floor. Customers and employees, me included, ran to prop them up.  Eventually the orchids were set up somewhere else, and I know they'll get sold by Valentine's, but after all that cold exposure they won't have a long life.  Meanwhile, I wanted to get somewhere warm.  I gave up my plans of choosing more berries, even though the raspberries and blueberries looked pretty good.  I looked down at my container of strawberries.  It was covered with something which looked like powdered sugar.  However, I knew better.  It was a soft, light dusting of snow.  Strawberries.... The luscious summer fruit! 


Ingredients:
1 baguette
8 ounces good quality deli ham, sliced
4 ounces brie cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
Dijon mustard 
some baby arugula
a few drops of vegetable oil such as canola (optional)
salt (optional)
freshly ground black pepper
some nice fruit such as apples, strawberries, grapes, blackberries, etc.


Directions:
Slice the baguette horizontally.  Take one piece of the bread and spread it lightly with Dijon mustard.
Take the other piece of the baguette and arrange some baby arugula on it.  On top of the arugula sprinkle a little canola oil and maybe just a bit of salt.  Then, grab your pepper grinder and give it a go, seasoning with all that delicious freshly ground black pepper.
Layer the ham on top of the mustard and then layer the brie on top of the arugula.  Press the two sides of the baguette together.  
Slice the baguette into pieces and serve accompanied with the fruit.
A very enjoyable fruit and sandwich lunch!!!

4 comments:

  1. Adding the arugula was a good idea. It was just too plain without it. Thanks for making this pick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want this for lunch, Valentines Day or not. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greek Girl from QueensFebruary 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM

    This looks soooooo delicious, Ana! I love all cheeses, but brie definitely rates high in my book. I like the idea of the arugula, as well. Quite a tasty choice you've made there. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been using arugula lately on all my sandwiches. I really enjoy it, so I would will make mine like yours. Lovely photos, and can't wait to have this for lunch or dinner as it might be.

    ReplyDelete