Yum, soup! Good tasting soup, in a flavorful broth. Fresh vegetables, great seasonings, delicious and wholesome flavours!!! For protein, I added chicken broth and low-fat turkey sausage. Very easy and quick to make.
Let's make spinach and sausage soup:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 stalks of celery, sliced
about 1 pound red potatoes, scrubbed, unpeeled, cut into bite size chunks
5 cups of chicken broth, low sodium, low fat
1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed
1 pound low-fat turkey sausage
4 cups spinach, washed well, roughly chopped, thick stems removed
salt and pepper to taste
some fresh sage and thyme for seasoning
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, the chicken broth and the garbanzo beans.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the sausage from its casing, then crumble it and brown it in a skillet. Drain as much fat as you can and set the sausage aside.
- When the vegetables are tender, add the spinach, sausage, herbs, salt and pepper. Bring back up to a simmer, and let cook for another 10 minutes before serving.