Friday, July 6, 2012

STRAWBERRY and FETA SALAD with HONEY-LEMON DRESSING



Strawberries are in season now, the small, sweet, locally grown variety.  There are lots of ways to use them.  How about some strawberry lemonade?  How about fruit salad with strawberries as the star ingredient?  Or, how about just popping them in your mouth, one by one, to enjoy eating them that way?  Then there is another way to serve these luscious sweet strawberries, and that is to scatter them on top of a salad.  With feta cheese.  There is something about feta that compliments summer fruits very well.  So a strawberry and feta cheese salad is a winner.  If you're wondering, yes, salad dressing goes with strawberries. You just have to choose the right one.  The dressing for this salad is made with honey and lemon and is absolutely the perfect match! The balsamic vinegar, the lemon, the honey, the mint, all these ingredients make a perfect sweet-tangy blend that goes great with strawberries. Lettuce, feta, strawberries and toasted almonds.  Just four ingredients and the dressing. Simple and perfectly delicious! 







HOW TO:
Make the dressing: 
1 tablespoon  honey
1 teaspoon grated lemon jest
1/2 teaspoon chopped mint
1/2 thyme leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • In a small bowl whisk the lemon juice with the lemon zest, honey, balsamic vinegar, mint and thyme.  Whisk in the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and mix well.



Looking at the picture, I decide that a few raspberries scattered here and there would add a wonderful accent to this salad.  Too late for this time around, but I will try it soon!


FOR THE SALAD:
feta cheese, crumbled
strawberries, sliced in half
lettuce, cut up - use all different kinds
sliced almonds, toasted
  • Arrange the lettuce on a serving platter, top with strawberries and feta, sprinkle almonds on top and drizzle the dressing all over the salad.



I am contributing this post to Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen.  Every Sunday Deb, who blogs at Kahakai Kitchen, publishes a round of  of posts featuring sandwiches, salads, soups and more.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness this looks just DELICIOUS! Thank you - off to buy the ingredients this afternoon! Have a lovely weekend F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. Just yum. I had a strawberry salad for lunch last weekend. It was really good. I think I'm gonna try your dressing, Ana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had watermelon and feta before, but never strawberries and feta. This looks like a great salad.

    I read the poem in your post below, I hope you are feeling more resolved now and I hope you received my email the other week.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, watermelon and feta is pretty popular in Greece and with Greeks all over. I had not heard of strawberries and feta either, until I ordered it from a restaurant menu, and I enjoyed it. I think chefs keep inventing this stuff to keep their public happy. There are also recipes for blueberries and feta, but I don't know if I will venture there. However, blueberry season is coming up fast, and we live really close to New Jersey, which is the blueberry capital of the US. So I need to make something with blueberries.

      Delete
    2. This sounds and looks delightful. Don't have any strawberries right now, but watermelon I do...hummmm.

      Delete
  4. A gorgeous salad to be sure. Love the strawberry and feta pairing and the toasted almonds just enhance it. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete