Tuesday, September 18, 2012

CORN, HERB AND VEGETABLE SOUP, SMOOTH AND CREAMY

Hurry up and get yourself some fresh corn.  Make soup with it, grill it, freeze it to have some for fall.  Before long fresh corn will be gone from the market.  I've bought lots of it, and my favorite way to cook with it is to make soup.  I make this corn soup at the end of every summer, and I love it.  You could say it's my farewell to summer dish.  Soup is filling and satisfying if you're watching calories like I am.  This soup features sweetcorn in a creamy broth, with lots and lots and lots of vegetables.  I think it's the fresh herbs that make this soup as delicious as it is.  They just take it over the top.  I bought the bay leaves.  The rosemary, the thyme and the parsley came from my patio herb garden.  It's giving us a prodigious crop this year.  We have more than enough for ourselves, for a neighbor and for co-workers. A great little garden, proving that even small growing spaces can give big results.  Now I grow all my herbs in pots on the patio, so that my elderly mother can have quick access to them.  The herbs come in very handy when I make this creamy summer soup.  I use farm fresh corn, the kind that's plentiful this time of year, the kind that's so milky tender that you want to eat it raw.  
I found out that the addition of zucchini gives this soup a smooth, foamy, really creamy texture.

Fresh corn is high in vitamin C, very high in potassium, and it produces significant antioxidant activity.  So hurry up and enjoy some sweetcorn and some corn soup, it's one of summer's fleeting pleasures.  

This year I bought extra corn and froze the kernels to have for cooking during autumn.

Ingredients:
5 ears of corn
3  cups 2% milk
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 large zucchini, chopped (don't peel)
3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
the leaves from 1(or even 2 if you like the stuff) nice size stick of rosemary
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
3 scallions, chopped, use white and light green parts only


Just start chopping!

Directions:

Prepare the corn:  Ready, set, go!
  • Remove the husks and the silk strings from the corn.  Brake the cobs in half.  Stand the flat end of each half on a cutting board.  Grab your knife in one hand and with the other hand hold the top of the corn cob firmly, in order to steady it.  Use the knife to scrape off the the kernels, and keep rotating the cob until all the kernels are scraped off.  With the flat end of the knife scrape off any bits of corn remaining on the cob.  Alternately, you can use a vegetable peeler to scrape off the bits.  Reserve the kernels.  Do not discards the corn cobs, they're going to be put to use!
 
I got the idea of boiling the corn cobs in milk  from the cookbook  "Around my French Table," by Dorie Greenspan.  A very good idea.
  • Place the milk in a saucepan.  Add the corn cobs.  Bring the milk to a boil, lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes.  Turn off the heat,  set the saucepan aside, but let the corn cobs steep in the milk.
  • In a large Dutch oven heat the olive oil.  Add the chopped onion, the red peppers and the garlic.  Cook stirring for about 5 minutes.
  • Add the potatoes, zucchini, celery, carrot and corn kernels.  Cook stirring for 10 minutes.  
  • Add the broth, the milk, the corn cobs and all the herbs. 
  • Cook for about 30 to 40 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft.  Season with salt and pepper. 
  • Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves and corn cobs and discard them.  
ONE!

TWO!

THREE!
 I made this soup three times already this month...  I love it!
  • Using an immersion blender puree the soup.  
  • Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with scallions and serve. 

I am contributing this post to Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen.  Every Sunday, Deb, from Kahakai Kitchen, has a round up of posts featuring soup, salad, sandwiches and more! 

4 comments:

  1. Yum, Ana! This looks great. I love all the vegetables you've added. I think you'll enjoy the Caprese Skewers - they're so easy to make & colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm.....smooth, creamy, delicious, healthy and so satisfying. Especially on these chillier autumnal evenings. Can't wait to try this - my only change in the recipe would be to have vegetable stock instead of the chicken stock, as I've gone back to adopting a vegetarian diet. Good to have you back, Ana. I've missed you (btw, did you get my e-mail from a couple of weeks back?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous and sounds delicious. Nice recipe for the soup lover in me. Beautiful photos, also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love corn soups and adding the zucchini is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete