Tuesday, October 2, 2012

GREEK STYLE ROASTED POTATOES


Oregano, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice.  Four ingredients that make a spud taste awesome!  Peel, mix and roast.  Simple and yet so flavorful.  This way of cooking potatoes is very popular in Greek homes.  The ubiquitous Greek roasted potato!  Every Greek or friend of a Greek has either eaten them, or cooked them, or both.  A good accompaniment with Greek roasted potatoes is feta cheese. That, some olives and a salad are an excellent and inexpensive meal. I made the potatoes in the picture to accompany a chicken dish, but they tasted so good that I hardly ate any chicken.  Didn't miss it, either. 
Greeks like to roast potatoes in the same pan with chicken or meat, but they also roast them plain, to serve as a side dish or as a main meal. 

With this recipe I always use Yukon gold potatoes.  I've used other types of potatoes in the past, but ever since I discovered the Yukon gold variety I've used nothing else.  They have an extraordinary flavor, sweet and buttery.  I promise you:  This recipe + Yukon gold potatoes = a super-delicious eating experience.  

Ingredients:
3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
1/4 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons dried oregano plus a little more to use as a topping
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth, pick whichever one you love
juice squeezed from one large juicy lemon
a handful of grated Pecorino Romano cheese (maybe a little feta cheese, too, if you feel up to it)


Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 400°F.
  • Smash the garlic cloves and peel them.  Remove the green sprout from the middle of each garlic clove. Do this because the sprout will turn a funny grey color when it's roasted (as I have learned from experience),  and I don't think you're going to like grey stuff mixed in with your potatoes, even if you know it used to be some harmless little garlic sprout.  Once the sprouts are discarded go ahead and mince the garlic.   
  • In a large bowl toss the potatoes with the olive oil, the oregano, the minced garlic, and the salt and pepper.  Come on, Get your hands in that bowl and get the tossing action going! 
Start mixing!
  • Now spread the potatoes out in a baking pan.  They have to be in one layer, so choose a pan that can accommodate them that way.
  • Bake them for 25 minutes, then take them out of the oven.
  • Add the chicken or vegetable broth and the lemon juice.  Grab yourself a spoon and toss those potatoes once again.  
To the partially cooked potatoes I added broth and lemon juice.  This time around I crumbled up some feta cheese and added that also.  
  • Put them back in the oven to finish cooking.  This should take about a half hour to 40 minutes. Check them and you'll know when they're done. They will be tender in the middle and browned around the edges.  
  • Take them out of the oven, place them on a serving dish and sprinkle a little oregano and the handful of Pecorino Romano cheese over the potatoes.  
  • Feta cheese?  If you like you can crumble a little feta cheese into tiny pieces and sprinkle it on top. Or, you can mix in a little crumbled feta cheese when you add the broth.  Or, you can have the feta on the side, which is my favorite way to have these potatoes.  
  • Serve them right away while they are still warm, and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!  


8 comments:

  1. Mmmm.....potatoes! How I love potatoes and always have. I'm like Samwise Gamgee from LoTR - I love 'po-tay-toes.'

    These look absolutely delicious, and you've inspired me to make them this way for donight's fish dinner. I was going to have rice, but after reading this, I've changed my mind.

    Drop me an e-mail when you get a free moment, Ana. I've missed our chats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be ordering these at the Greek festival we're going to this weekend, but I bet they won't be as good as yours. I love potatoes cooked this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how special is this recipe to me. One of the first I shared with you and your family, Greek style roasted potatoes and chicken. Melts you heart with the delicious combinations of flavors. One of my most favorite meals I have shared with you. Yes indeed, worth trying, but very difficult to make it as good as you do. You have that magic touch, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now the recipe is right here for whenever you want to make them!

      Delete
  4. OMG these potatoes look delicious !
    Seems like I should try them !

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great. I have a question though, how can you make the juices a little thicker. I go to a Greek restaurant that serves potatoes like this but the sauce is thicker, do you know what they do? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quick question, I eat at a Greek restaurant that serves potatoes like these but the sauce/base is thicker, do you have any idea how they make it like that? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. One way is to add a little more chicken broth to the potatoes, and when they finish cooking take the juices from the pan, thicken them with a little cornstarch and pour them over the potatoes before serving. Or place the thickened base on the plate and then the potatoes over that. If you cook your potatoes along with chicken (I have a recipe on the blog for that), you will invariably get lots of juices as they will be seeping from the chicken when it's baking.

    ReplyDelete