Saturday, February 23, 2013

SALAD WITH SAUTÉED BEET GREENS


I remember this salad from my childhood.  I never went close to any type of beet back then. I was too weary of their red color which would easily stain my hands and clothes.  So rather than learn how to negotiate eating them, I avoided them all together.  As an adult, I developed quite a taste for the sweet flavor of beets.  Now, I always cook them in the oven, and sometimes I even add their leaves right into the baking pan.  However, the leaves of the beet plant can be used on their own to make a very appetizing salad.  They are green with red stems and they resemble chard, which by the way is a relative of the common beet.  Most people prefer to eat the red, sweet root of the plant, therefore they cut off and discard the leaves.  Next time save the leaves, give them a good rinsing with cold water, and turn them into this healthy, low calorie salad.  The leaves are blanched for a few minutes and then are sautéed in olive oil.  It's a simple salad which makes an excellent lunch.

Ingredients:

2 or 3 bunches of beets
2 cloves of garlic, chopped well
1 shallot, chopped very well
salt and pepper to taste
lemon juice to taste
olive oil



Directions:

  • Cut the leaves from the beets, and reserve the beets for another purpose.  The beetroots have a long life if stored in the refrigerator, but the leaves need to be cooked soon after the beets are bought.
Refrigerate and reserve the beetroots for another use.  I'll be turning them into a salad later on in the week...
  • Slice the leaves in pieces of about one inch in length, and rinse them well.
The beet greens washed and chopped.  
  • Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the greens.  Cook for 5 minutes, until they start to get tender.  
  • Using a slotted spoon transfer the leaves into a bowl filled with ice and cold water.  Leave them in the water for about a minute then drain them.  Dry the greens on paper towels so that they don't splatter while being sauteed.
  • In a large skillet heat some olive oil and saute the shallot until it starts to soften.  
  • Add the greens and the garlic and cook stirring for about 3 minutes.  Stir well so that all the flavors blend together. 
  • Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
  • Place the greens on a serving platter and sprinkle with lemon juice.
  • Drizzle some olive oil on and around the greens and serve along with extra lemon wedges.


This is my contribution to "Souper Sundays," hosted by Deb at Kahakai Kitchen. Each Sunday Deb features posts with recipes for soup, salad or stews.

5 comments:

  1. I will never throw away my beet greens again! ;-) This salad looks delicious--love the simple olive oil and lemon dressing. Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. Chard and other similar greens can be cooked in the same way.

      Delete
  2. Not a fan of beets, but this is a beautiful salad to serve company on a hot summer day. Seems nice and light and simple to make. Colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm....this salad looks so good, Ana. I love beets (I get that from my dad's side of the family - who were from Russia). Especially pickled beets, on a salad. I usually tend to wait for the warmer weather when it comes to salads, but who can resist this one? Not me! Thanks, Ana! - June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, beets! You either love them or you hate them. I love them. I'm making beets with salt cod for the 25th of March. I got the cod. We have the greens mixed in with the beets. That's pretty good too, but these greens are lower in carbohydrates than beets.

    ReplyDelete