Saturday 14 September 2013

CORN ON THE COB GRILLED WITH FRESH HERBS



Corn on the cob on the grill.  A great way to enjoy summer sweet corn! This corn was as fresh as could be. I bought it just a few hours after it was picked, and at a really sweet price too, 4 for $1.00. I often grill corn: I love eating it hot, crunchy, and slightly charred, but with kernels that are still juicy and sweet below their crispy coat. My way of grilling corn is to wrap it in parchment paper, then in aluminium foil and toss it onto the coals; I have been cooking it this way for more years than I can count.
 


I never considered improving on the taste, not until I came across a picture on the Food Network website of corn grilled in foil but with lots of herbs added for extra taste. 


Well, go figure. I grow herbs and I have a clear view of my little herb garden right from where the grill is set up. Yet, never once did I consider adding some of those herbs I stare at to the corn grilling in front of me. OK, thank you Food Network for kicking my brain into gear. 



This is kind of a no recipe-recipe but here is what I do these days when I grill corn: 

I place a piece of foil on the counter. I top it with parchment paper. Then I begin seasoning the corn with spices and herbs. Use any herbs you love or have on hand. I usually incorporate rosemary, thyme, sage, marjoram, chopped garlic, olive oil combined with a little butter, and salt and pepper. I wrap the corn securely and place it on the grill!  


The corn package should be rotated every three to four minutes to keep it from getting scorched. Total grill time is usually about twenty minutes. When the corn is ready, I unwrap the package and wait until the corn cools down a little. Sometimes I like to top the corn with grated Pecorino Romano cheese. Then I serve it on a bed of basil. The taste imparted by the herbs is not overpowering. The corn flavour is still dominant but the herbs add to it a subtle, excellent note. This method of cooking corn has won me over; there is no going back! Corn grilled with herbs is where it's at!