2 ribs of celery, chopped well
2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 teaspoons dried oregano
a few sprigs of fresh thyme, a few basil leaves
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the shallots, onions, celery, and garlic. Sauté until soft.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir to deglaze the pan.
- Add the oregano and thyme.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Mix, season with salt and pepper to taste, bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Cover and let simmer.
- After half an hour check the sauce. It should be pretty thick. At this point add the grated cheese, stir well and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Chiffonade the basil leaves and mix them into the sauce. Turn off the heat.
- The tomato sauce will be thick, sweet and fragrant.