Tuesday, March 20, 2012

SRI LANKAN VEGETABLE AND CASHEW CURRY


I read a lot of recipes about Sri Lankan cooking, and I read a lot about Sri Lankan ingredients.  I feel comfortable enough to call this recipe my own, although I borrowed ideas from about a dozen sources.  However, the final combinations are mine, and I am so happy I was able to do this.  I loved the way it tasted.  The key here is not to overcook the vegetables. 
When having dinner, Sri Lankans set the table with a variety of dishes that range from mild to really spicy.  Usually meat curries are spicy.  This vegetable curry has very little heat, and since I can't eat cilantro I used Italian parsley. Vegetable and cashew curry was a nice accompaniment to aromatic Sri Lankan rice.

Ingredients:

1 cup chicken broth
½ cup cashew nuts
1/8 teaspoon Madras curry powder
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/3 cup coconut milk
2 carrots, cut up
½ medium head cauliflower, cut into florets 

1 cup frozen peas
about 3 tablespoons canola oil
1 red onion, chopped
5 curry leaves
3 cloves garlic, chopped well
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (I used parsley because I am allergic to cilantro)  
Juice of one lime
Rind from one lime


Directions:
  • In a medium sized sauce pan add about one tablespoon oil and saute the curry leaves, garlic and mustard seeds.  Sauté  until the mustard seeds begin to pop.  
  • Add the broth, coconut milk, madras curry, turmeric, and cashews.  Mix and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes until the nuts are soft. 
  • Add the carrots and cook for 3 minutes.  Add the cauliflower and cook until it starts to soften.  Don't overcook the vegetables.  Remove from the heat.  
  • Meanwhile, as the vegetables are cooking, get a large sauce pan and add the rest of the oil to it.  Place it over a medium high heat, and when the oil gets hot add the onions. Sauté, mixing occasionally, until the onions are soft.  
  • Add the cauliflower mixture to the onions and shake to mix.  Add the cilantro (or parsley), lime rind and lime juice and fold in gently.  Turn off the heat. Serve with rice.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, great flavors in your dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice curry! I love cauliflower, so I would enjoy sitting at your table with that plate in front of me.

    ReplyDelete