Wednesday 30 December 2020

HOMEMADE DOGFOOD: MEATLOAF FOR THE DOG!

This is Mr Big Ben (mostly called Benny). Meatloaf? Yes, please, he says. He can eat it every single day! 

I recently adopted a smol doggo from a local rescue who just happens to be the most finicky eater on the globe! That's the guy, Mr Big Ben, right there in the picture. 

I make this meatloaf for him and we do have success because he seems to like it and no longer goes without eating dinner. I've known and loved other dogs, not such finicky eaters as Mr Big Ben ... well, there was also Pericles, and I used to get down on my knees to beg him to eat ... 

I have made this meatloaf with ground turkey but Ben gave it 4 paws down! However, a turkey version is an option that other dogs may like. As for Ben, we moved on to ground beef. Low-fat ground beef. 

I am writing this post on New Year's Day. I would like to report that today, Ben chose to have grilled salmon for dinner because that's part of what I already prepared for the hooman population that will be having dinner in about an hour from now. I mean Big Ben does live with hoomans, therefore it made sense to him that he indulge in some salmon. Cooked to order just for him, plain but topped with a dash of olive oil and a sprinkle of rice, Benny loved it! 

I have not yet had that conversation with Big Ben where I inform him he is a doggo. I doubt this conversation will ever take place. As far as Ben is concerned, he's my son, and hold on, let me tell you, that little guy, I love him like a son!!! 



Big Ben's Meatloaf

Ingredients:


2 pounds ground beef

2 eggs, beaten

2 cups mixed vegetables: use a combination of carrots, green beans, parsley, and peas. Don't use broccoli, it's not good for a dog's digestion.

1/2 cup  flax seed meal (it's a great source of fibre but don't use whole flaxseed because the canine cannot digest it)

1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs 

2 tablespoons olive oil

oregano and thyme to taste



Directions:


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Lightly pre-cook the vegetables. Pre-cooking will aid with digestion. Drain the vegetables and mash them. 

Mix all the ingredients.

Place the mixture in a lightly oiled pan. 

Bake for 45 minutes.  

Let cool, cut into serving portions and freeze. Use as needed. 

P.S. Sometimes I'll get a rotisserie chicken, remove the skin and the bones, chop the meat in small pieces and freeze it. I then combine a relatively small portion of the chicken meat with a serving of "Ben's meatloaf." He's very partial to that. 

No, Big Ben is not spoiled. He's so lovable, so endearing!